Vaishno Devi shrine is a pilgrimage, located in Katra, Jammu & Kashmir. It is considered as one of the holiest shrines in India, with the deified Shri Mata Vaishno Devi Ji residing in a holy cave inside the folds of mount Trikuta. Every year, thousands of people follow the holy footsteps of Vaishno Devi Yatra, with unflinching faith and dedication to visit the goddess.
If you are planning to visit the Mata Vaishno Devi Temple, you should be well prepared to take the amazing, yet strenuous journey. You can follow this itinerary to reach to your destination safely and without any delays.
Travel planning to Vaishno Devi shrine
- Reaching Katra – You can reach the winter capital of Jammu & Kashmir by air, train, or road. Both Indian Airlines and Jet Airways currently operate daily flights to Jammu, and on ground, the Indian Railway operates a healthy number of passenger and express trains to the location. Note that transportation options may vary.
Adventure lovers can take the National Highway to reach Katra. Several passenger bus lines operate in this route. These also offer special services during the peak season of Vaishno Devi Yatra for the additional passenger load.
- Getting an entry pass – To visit the shrine, every pilgrim will require an entry pass allocated by the local authority of the area. You will have to visit the ‘Parchi counter’ located at Fountain Chowk and enlist your details in the register for documentation. You will be allocated a current pass with your name and photograph taken at the counter. It is one of the most important items as every pilgrim is required to show it in different checkpoints.
- Reaching the shrine – You can opt for a helicopter ride, pony ride, palanquin, or walk on foot to reach the holy temple. Helicopter booking can be made online through the official website. The price is controlled by the temple trust.
The route to the temple stays open 24×7. It stretches for 15km with a steep ascent and is well paved along with multiple basic facilities.
There are certain things you should remember before going for this pilgrimage. Because of its high altitude, visitors hailing from other parts of India may face minor health issues during the journey. It is advisable to avail a Vaishno Devi Pilgrimage Insurance cover before starting this journey to create a financial backing for any unforeseen incident.
- In case of a lost family member – It is better to disperse important contact details amongst family members (especially amongst children) before starting the journey. They can reach out to the representatives to reach the nearest public announcement station.
- Phone coverage – Only post-paid and local SIM cards work in this area. Ideally, you can avail a local SIM card to get the maximum network coverage.
- Clothing – Go for seasonal clothing that provides ample freedom of movement for your limbs. Shoes should be covered, with good grip, and previously worn to avoid any blisters.
- Carry – Carry only the essentials, like water, glucose, light snacks, sanitary kit, money, charger, flashlight, paper, and entry pass.
If you have a Vaishno Devi pilgrimage cover, you can rest assured against any unwanted situations like accidental hospitalisation, loss of valuables, etc. The policy offered by Bajaj Finserv under their Pocket Insurance policies offer comprehensive protection against any emergency you might face with ample and immediate financial assistance.
You can also add a pilgrimage insurance along with Vaishno Devi protection insurance scheme to extend the protection or coverage. This policy comes with emergency services like medical evacuation, financial assistance of up to Rs. 1,00,000, and multiple added features.